In this first chapter of, “The Art Of The Deal,” by our United States President, Donald J. Trump; We discover right off the bat that he enjoys negotiating. In fact; Mr. Trump makes it clear that negotiating is a fine art; requiring just as much creativity as writing music or painting a picture.
Personally; living with blindness has forced me to do a bit of rather creative negotiating in my own life, as well, just to survive. So, “Yeah,” I must totally agree with The Donald here. “Negotiation certainly is an art form all its own.”
“Anyhow…” In reading chapter one of Donald’s book we learn quite a bit about how he rolls on a day to day bases. But we also discover a lot of philosophies governing Donald’s life which we can easily apply to our own.
Useful personal and professional pointers to live by; principles that may possibly lead to a happy, creative and productive life for all of us:
- Keep meetings to a minimum over the course of a single day; short and productively sweet being the ideal.
- Keep business calls, and other electronic communications, short and productive.
- Holding a grudge against those who oppose you is pointless, as their special talents could be useful to you down the line.
- When it comes to associating with other people; hang with the winners.
- When it comes to business; stick with the things you actually know about.
- Be decisive in your decisions and actions.
- Always listen to your gut.
- Consider “all” available options in dealing with “any” situation.
- Know that sometimes the best deals in life are the ones you never make.
- Learn from the past; mistakes and all.
- Plan for the future by focusing on the present.
- Know that talking to your own kids is one of the most important things you’ll ever do personally and professionally.